K-1 Visa – Fiance Visa

A “fiance visa” (K-1 Visa) is a temporary visa issued to a fiance of a U.S. citizen who seeks to enter the United States solely to conclude a valid marriage with the citizen. The fiance visa is only valid for 90 days.

There are four basic elements that must apply in order to successfully obtain a K-1 Fiance Visa.

  1. Intent to Actually Marry
  2. Marriage to a U.S. Citizen
  3. Must Have Met in Person Within the Last Two Years
  4. Both Parties Must Be Legally Able to Marry 

Two-step process: The K-1 application procedure is essentially a two-step process:

  • First, you file paperwork with the USCIS in the U.S., and, once approved, then
  • your case is sent to the U.S. embassy in your fiance’s native country. The fiance is asked to fill out paperwork and take a medical exam. The fiance then goes for an interview in the U.S. embassy/consulate, after which the visa is granted.

Filing Fees for a Fiance Visa:

  • Form I-129F Filing Fee: $340
  • Form I-134 Filing Fee: There is no filing fee
  • Form DS-160 Filing Fee:

Documents to Gather for the K-1 Visa: Below are some of the important documents you must gather.

  • An original picture of both the U.S. citizen and the fiance.

Once married, the foreign newlywed spouse must adjust his/her status to secure legal permanent resident status–a.k.a. “green card“.