Student Visa in Chile

The Chilean student visa “Visa de Estudiante” is valid for a maximum of one year. For students on a scholarship program, it is valid for the duration of the scholarship. For students in language programs or who plan on studying for less than six months, a study visa is usually more trouble than it’s worth.

If you plan on studying for more than six months, you should apply for a student visa. You can apply either at the Immigration Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Santiago, or at a Chilean embassy in the United States before you depart.

Student visas are valid up to a year and can be renewed from within Chile. Remember to apply for an extension BEFORE your first visa expires.

FYI, It is illegal to work if you hold a student visa.

You are required to obtain a student visa to study in Chile unless you will be in the country for less than 90 days.

Summer students will enter Chile on a tourist visa which you will get upon arrival to the airport in Santiago. The tourist visa is a stamp in your passport which is good for no more than 90 days.

Students will get their visa in the U.S. before departing for Chile. You will need to provide necessary documents such as a medical clearance and FBI background check.

Please note that you will be required to appear in person at the consulate in order to receive your student visa. Contact the consulate nearest you for the most specific and current information and to request a visa application.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *